Canadian Agricultural Safety Week
It is Canadian Agricultural Safety Week from March 10-16, 2019. SaskCanola sponsors two important farm safety resources:
Sponsor of The Agricultural Health and Safety Network’s Discovery Days Outreach Program
- Discovery Days are farm safety presentations delivered by representatives from the Agricultural Health and Safety Network (AH&SN) who travel to schools throughout Saskatchewan. This opportunity is free to schools who operate within RMs that hold a membership with the AH&SN.
- Discovery Days are tailored for children in grades 4-6 in agricultural communities. During each event, classroom’s are guided through fun and interactive farm saftey activities. These activities include animal safety, chemical safety, hazard identification, grain safety, and machinery safety.
- Participants have the opportunity to increase their understanding of agricultural health and safety hazards as well as how to avoid these risks. Each student goes home with an activity booklet and a resource to share with family members.
- Please contact Kathryn for more information or to book a Discovery Day at (306) 966-5490
Sponsor of the Canadian Agricultural Safety Association’s BeGrainSafe Demonstration Trailer
- This mobile training and demonstration unit entraps a mannequin/person in flowing grain in a controlled manner to demonstrate the dangers of grain entrapment and rescue training procedures. The BeGrainSafe trailer can be used for large trade shows, firefighter training, or farmer training.
- Total 2018 reach is 306,985 people in the Prairies and Ontario
- Highlights include 23 fire departments (over 200 members) in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Ontario have been trained in grain rescue
- Launched FREE online Introduction to Grain Handling and Storage Hazards. Geared to both farmers and fire fighters.
- Ten rescue tubes and augers have been awarded by G3 to Saskatchewan fire departments that have completed training.
- Saskatchewan mobile unit visits in 2018 included Parkland College in Melville, Ceres Global Ag in Northgate, Queen City Exhibition in Regina, Humboldt youth safety day and grain rescue training, Saskatchewan volunteer fire fighters conference in Estevan, Swift Current grain rescue training, and Weyburn grain rescue training.
More farm safety resources: