Call for applications for Agronomy Extension Specialist
Agronomy Extension Specialist – permanent, full-time, Saskatoon office
SaskCanola represents over 20,000 canola growers in the province of Saskatchewan. The producer-directed organization provides value to canola growers by guiding levy contributions to fund research projects, extension events, policy development, and consumer promotion activities.
The successful candidate will provide extension services to Saskatchewan canola growers and support SaskCanola’s research programming. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the SaskCanola team and external partners to communicate the outcomes of research investments and other resources developed by SaskCanola and national partners. The position requires agronomic knowledge, database management, and the technical knowledge necessary to identify critical topics and programs to incorporate into SaskCanola’s grower engagement efforts.
Acting as SaskCanola’s point of contact with Saskatchewan canola growers on canola production issues, the Agronomy Extension Specialist will:
- Work with the communications manager to develop content for grower communications including social media, publications, print articles, etc
- Collaborate with Canola Council of Canada to share timely, relevant, and seasonal agronomic tools, BMPs and other resources through a variety of events and initiatives
- Coordinate topics and speakers for Top Notch Farming and other grower events in partnership with communications manager
- Review SaskCanola funded research and translate scientific results into meaningful information for growers
- Represent SaskCanola on the Canola Performance Trial technical committee and provide support to director representative to the program.
- Participate on industry committees
- Work with the communications manager, regional partners and Ministry of Agriculture to identify priorities for grower communications
- Represent SaskCanola at farm meetings across the province, sharing research outcomes and relevant agronomic insights
Supporting the Research Manager for delivery of the Research Program by:
- Coordinating research project administration, including the annual application of the Scientific Research & Experimental Development (SR&ED) tax credit
- Managing the research database
- Demonstrating value of SaskCanola to growers by sharing outcomes of research in communication campaigns, SaskCanola events and programs
- Sharing information and collaborating with industry and government colleagues on production information for growers
The ideal candidate will have:
- A degree in Agriculture
- Extensive knowledge of canola production
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with experience delivering presentations and supporting the development of extension resources
- The ability to present technical information to large groups or one on one
- Strong practical farming and agronomy background
- Excellent computer skills in spreadsheet and database management
- Ability to translate technical language into practical, hands-on information for growers
- Good interpersonal skills
- The ability to be self-directed and able to work independently
An Agriculture background is preferred, as is eligibility for a Professional Agrologist designation. CCA designation would also be considered an asset.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter with the subject line “Agronomy Extension Specialist” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline is 4:00 PM on Thursday, July 29, 2021.